Meet Ellora Gupta. Ellora is a junior at the University of Michigan Ross School of Business, a contributor at AnnArbor.com, a passionate girl about all things wedding and special events, and our new intern!
Here’s a little bit about Ellora:
What are you looking to get out of this internship?
My ultimate goal is a continual search to learn and improve in the arenas of organization, coordination and communication. I am also hoping to take my knowledge of event planning to the next level by learning from people who do this professionally. Being in an environment with the people of VLD, who truly care about what they do, will certainly help fuel my passion for event planning.
What are your professional goals post-graduation from college?
I have three goals for after I graduate: the first is to work for the Wall Street Journal, the second is to work in Public Relations, and the third is to open my own event coordinating company. Each of these goals embodies my three passions, respectively: writing, people and event-planning. I would very much like to do each of these in the future.
Who is your style icon?
One of my more recent interests lies with Kimora Lee Simmons, the CEO of Phat Fashions. This is in part due to her successful career as a model, but mostly due to her more successful career as a business woman. She embodies the strong and determined woman who works extremely hard in order to achieve her goals and keep her company successful. The innovation of her fashion designs and her perseverance are two traits which I admire in her very much.
Name 5 things you like to do for fun.
1. Spending time with people—People are one of my biggest passions. I enjoy interacting with them, learning about them and trying to understand them. This interest has led me to attend many social events and expand my networks. That being said, I value inter-personal relationships very highly.
2. Backpacking— Oddly, there is something extremely gratifying about spending weeks in the outdoors without any running water or electricity.
3. Sports—I have always enjoyed playing and watching sports of any kind. Staying active is a huge priority in my life and I make it a point to run at least five times a week. It has also been my pleasure attending a Big 10 University (Michigan), as I have a lot of pride for my sports teams and enjoy attending all sporting events.
4. Writing—This is one of my greatest passions. Not only am I a section editor for my school’s newspaper, but I am also currently writing a script for a musical that I hope to produce through the University of Michigan’s arts program.
5. Exploring—I have only lived in Ann Arbor for about a year and a half, and it is one of my goals to experience as much of it as possible. There is so much yet undiscovered but I hope to see as much as possible. So far, I have stumbled upon things such as a “singing duel,” a Robot Shop (humans welcome) and a Michael Jackson impersonator.
Who is your favorite entrepreneur?
My favorite entrepreneur and one of my idols is Muhammad Yunus. He advanced the concept of micro-lending by giving very small loans to the people of Bangladesh in order to spur the economy. Difficult and seemingly impossible at first, he transformed the prosperity of small villages and changed the standard of living for rural people. This is not only an economic development, but a social one as well.
What’s your favorite quote?
“Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it.” (M. K. Gandhi) At first, this quote gives a nod towards practicality, acknowledging that each person is a small thing in the grand scheme of things; however, it also acknowledges the importance of each person and his/her actions. Taking it one step further, it also supports my belief that people should do what they believe is good and right because it may have an impact greater than they can imagine.
And on that terrific last note, we’re happy to have her. Welcome to the VLD family, Ellora!